Friday, October 8, 2010

Toy Project: "Momma 'Gator"

TAH-DAH!

Reflection Thinger:
...I got nothing. Seriously, after this assignment my brain has turned to pancake batter. I decided to create my own toy design to challenge myself-mission accomplished. After spending countless hours in the computer lab toiling over details, it's safe to say this assignment kicked my butt. Hardcore.

Everything about this project came from my noggin. I love how momma alligators gently cradle their babies in their mouth for a time after they're born. Alligators are always portrayed as ruthless predators, but the fact that they're so protective over their little babies opposes this. The juxtaposition of an alligator's killing machine stereotype versus its endearing parental ways tickles me pink. Speaking of pink, I came up with my own color scheme-I tried to pick complementary colors. The lecture on color helped me choose different hues with similar value. I could tell I succeeded because when I printed the image out in black and white, my gradients looked the same for the most part. Choosing colors was only a small step in the arduous process, however. The devils were definitely in the details for this one. I wanted to make sure the toy would actually work as a three-dimensional object the way I saw it in my head, so I kept printing it, cutting it out, and adjusting. Work, print, cut, adjust, repeat. Over and over again. Ugh.

It's still not perfect-the toy assembles correctly and the mouth even opens and closes, but the assembly instructions I wrote and drew out looked discolored because I scanned them in. I thought I adjusted them accordingly, but when I opened the image up on a different computer, it looked off. Maybe I can fix it, still...with what little brain matter I have left. And I thought I was going to sleep tonight. Rats.

No comments:

Post a Comment