Sunday, October 24, 2010

Portraits/Alphabet Soup/Jesse Sucks at Photography

Self-Portrait:

Someone I Know (My "Hubby"):

The Others (FOALS!...and Jenny):


Since I'm a child of the digital age, I picked "QWErTY", the first row of the keyboard, as my Alphabet Soup letters:






This assignment was the most challenging so far. I've always known I'm a lousy photographer, but I tried not to let that thought set me up for failure or keep me from giving it my best shot. The process was tough, but I learned a lot about opening up to strangers and opening my eyes to the world outside my living room- even towards the world inside my living room-the world I tend to glaze over on a day-to-day basis.

My "other" picture was extremely exciting-I met my favorite band, Foals, when I visited Portland and asked if I could take their pictures. I didn't mention it was for an assignment because I was a little too star-struck to formulate many words. I only used one layer to effect the final "other" (or "others") photo. I wanted to add hand-written text to document the occasion in narrative form and tie all the portrait photos together cohesively. In contrast, the alphabet photos all have at least 3 adjustment layers each. I played around with the exposure, levels, hue, saturation, and contrast until the desired letters emerged the clearest. It didn't help that the only camera I own is the "Photograph" feature on my cell phone. The pictures it captures are of low quality, but I tried to make that work to my advantage by purposely amping up the grittiness of the pictures. I went for an over-exposed, warped motif that almost hurts to look at-kind of like staring at the sun.

As wonderful as it was to meet Foals, I'm glad this assignment is over with. After this enlightening journey I found out I'm at the same place I was before-I have no affinity for photography, and frankly, I stink at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment