Saturday, October 2, 2010

A Short (yeah, right!) Reflection

I know everything in the world about Photoshop, or "PS" as the kids say...OK, that's a little huge; maybe 70% of all things Photoshop...alright, alright, at least 10%. Or less. I must admit having a little PS experience before coming into to this class really came in handy. However, my prior knowledge only took me so far. Since being thrown back into the digital art ring, I still find myself facing a few trials and tribulations. Throughout this magical journey, I'm re-discovering my favorite PS tools, trouble-shooting my mistakes, making artistic descisions, and even eating candy bars.

I used to have an array of PS techniques in my back pocket that would impress even the surliest of haters. But, alas, unlike riding a bike, much of that knowledge was lost-probably drownded in the vast sea of song lyrics I retain in my head. The good news is that after playing around with the program for a few hours, my memory was refreshed and now I even remember a few helpful keystrokes. Also, I was once again reunited with my beloved lasso selection tool and life was good. I'm obsessed with this feature because it gives me god-like control over what's going on in my image-it can be filled, turned into a path, or leave me one click away from turning the perimeter of my selection into a line. Sweet. What wasn't so sweet? The problems I ran into (and am currently running into). I had issues posting my images onto the blog site and no one in the lab could help me. In fact, one gentleman, although only trying to help, set me back about half an hour. Some good came out of this, however. With the help of an energy boost from a Snikers bar, I figured out where I went wrong and discovered the errors of my ways. And like Confuscious say, "When one can fix his own mistake, the process of learning can begin"...alright, maybe I made that up. At any rate, I swelled with pride and patted myself on the back for learning something new. On a less technical note, the actual artistic experience was rewarding as well. I started out with 3 solid ideas that I stuck to for the most part, making only a few adjustments. Since I had a clear veiw of where I was going with the pieces and possess somewhat of an eye for composition, I knew when to put down the stylus. Overall, I like my three ideas, but the iRoar is probably my favorite. It was the easisest to make, but the most clever, I feel.

Throughout this arduous mini-essay, I've been switching tenses, but not for a lack of English 101 skills. I'm still in the process of finishing my second piece. I want to redo it-add some teeth and maybe headphones to my little dino buddy-but when I went to the upstairs computer lab today, I found out the lab schedule posted on the DMF blog was incorrect. That lab is closed all day today, but this is only a minor setback-the downstairs lab will be open for 2 hours soon. My process of remembering old techniques and continuing artsy learning (possibly while eating more candy bars) will recommense shortly!

Here was my 1st attempt at pikkie 2--refer to the revamped version in the "Scrizz-atch" post to WITNESS MY MAGIC!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment