Sunday, January 30, 2011

ART348-finalized drawring (based off character sketch)




character description:
"I am the perfect personification of Ban's inner desires. I am creative and intelligent and long to be free. However, despite my powerful wings, Ban keeps me in a small, rusty cage in the darkest basement of his deepest subconscious. Self-doubt and a medial existence take the forms of hideous, serpentine beasts that lurk in the corners of this low-lit space. They creep behind the walls and in the closets, ready to pounce whenever I attempt to escape. I can use my cunning wit and shape-shifting abilities to fool them for a time, but in the end I'm always dragged back into this dismal place. Lucky for me, I have astounding patience and all the time in the world. I can sit here and stew as long as I need to before making my big move. It's only a matter of time before I will have my way."

Reflec-chee-own:
The article gave me some great insight for how to approach my project. What I got from it was a concept artist should keep things fast and loose because you never know what will get scrapped in the end result. The refining stages are key, so I feel I shouldn't start dwelling on details until I've streamlined my character. Sure, details will matter in the end result, because maximum clarity is key, but when you have specific deadlines to meet, it's important to spend as little time as possible on any rough drafts. I've found my first 5 or 10 sketches are mostly to grasp the overall design of my character-simple shapes and what not. Usually the end result has morphed far beyond that of the first sketch. In my bird-Ban drawings, for example, my first sketches played with proportions and had no real reference. It wasn't until I started working form pictures of the beautiful Major Mitchell Cockatoo that my character really began to pop.

My overall life goal is to make comic books or graphic novels, but a career as a concept artist would be a blast, too. However, I feel like there are so many people fighting for these demanding positions that I might get skimmed over. If I wanted to actively pursue this goal, I would need to work on machinery and backgrounds because those are my weak points.

main reference:

No comments:

Post a Comment